The Andalusia Public Library was founded in 1913 by the Andalusia Study Club and opened in the reception room of the Masonic Hall. The nucleus of the library was 100 books donated by various army camps in Alabama. After several years of contributions and with the help of the WPA, a new library was built. Called "one of the loveliest little libraries in the state," the new library opened its doors in 1939. Those doors remained open for the next 28 years. In 1963 it was time to expand. Mrs. D.D Chapman led a movement to obtain the Andalusia Post Office building, which was being replaced with a new post office, for the new public library. The federal government granted the request and the library opened its new doors in 1967. In 1979 the Charles Dixon Memorial meeting room was added to the library thanks to the generosity of Thelma Dixon. A reference room, genealogy room, periodical room, and children's library were added soon after. The children's library was remolded thanks to the generosity of Thelma Dixon's family and a teen room was added. The library celebrated its 100th birthday in 2013. To use our card catalog, click here.