Earl V. Johnson
Mayor Johnson attended public schools in Andalusia where he graduated from Andalusia High School in 1965.
He later attended Auburn University and Troy University where he graduated in 1970 with a Bachelor of Science in economics and business administration.
After graduation from Troy University, Mayor Johnson married the former Sylvia Crook of Decatur, Georgia. Sylvia graduated from Georgia State University in 1970 with a Bachelor of Science degree in elementary education. Both Mayor and Mrs. Johnson taught school for one year in Andalusia before moving to Birmingham where he attended Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, where he received his Doctor of Jurisprudence degree in 1974.
While in law school, he was named to the Dean’s list and was twice awarded the Am Jur Book Award. Mayor Johnson was admitted to the Alabama State Bar in November 1974, was also admitted to practice before numerous federal trial and appellate courts and has been continuously engaged in private practice in Andalusia since 1974. Mayor Johnson served two terms as the commissioner on the Alabama State Bar Board of Commissioners.
In October 2000, 2008, 2012, and a fourth time in 2016, Earl Johnson was elected Mayor of the City of Andalusia.
Mayor and Mrs. Johnson are members of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church of Andalusia and are the proud parents of two daughters, Laura Elizabeth and Kimberly Anne, and grandparents of three granddaughters and one grandson.
His professional, civic and business involvements include:
- Member, Alabama State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Past Assistant District Attorney, Covington County, Alabama
- Member and Past President, Covington County Bar Association
- Former Bar Commissioner for the 22nd Judicial Circuit of Alabama State Bar Association
- Former Member of Disciplinary Committee for the Alabama State Bar Association
- Founding Director, First National Bank of Andalusia
- Past Member and Vice President of City of Andalusia Downtown Redevelopment Authority
- Past Chairman, Andalusia Industrial Development Board
- Past Member and Secretary, Andalusia-Opp Regional Airport Authority
- Member and Past President of Andalusia Rotary Club, Paul Harris Fellow
- Past member and President of Andalusia Lion’s Club
- Past President and Drive Chairman of Andalusia area United Fund Drive
- Member and Board Member, Andalusia Area Chamber of Commerce
- Past Member and President of Lurleen B. Wallace Community College Foundation Board, 1992-1995
- Past member of Covington Arts Council
- Past member of Aviation Council of Alabama
- Board member of Covington County Economic Development Commission
- Board member of Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
- Andalusia High School Outstanding Graduate Award, 2012