Terry Powell is serving his fourth consecutive term as councilman for District 5. He is in his third term as Mayor Pro Tempore. He is retired from Shaw Industries where he was the Financial Manager. A native of Hazlehurst, Georgia, Terry moved his family to Andalusia in the fall of 1986. He is married to Suzanne M. Powell and they have two children; Kyle, married to the former Ashley Krudop of Andalusia, and Katelyn, married to Cory Ellis of Opp. Terry and Suzanne have six grandchildren; Francie Powell, Foster Powell, Addie Powell, Reid Ellis, Georgia Ellis and Thomas Ellis.
Terry is a graduate of Jeff Davis High School in Hazlehurst, Georgia. After serving his country in Vietnam, he attended Valdosta State University and graduated with a degree in accounting.
Terry's hobbies include fishing, golf, and ministering to people in the community. But most of all, he and Suzanne enjoy spending time with their children and grandchildren.
His professional, civic and business involvements include:
- Church Treasurer
- IMPACT Board of Trustees
- Andalusia Health Board of Trustees
- Treasurer of Andalusia Band Boosters
- Covington County United Fund Board
- Deacon, First Baptist Church Andalusia
- Pastor of Mobley Creek Baptist Church
- Past President of East Three Notch PTO
- High School Boy’s Sunday School Teacher
- Member and Past President of Andalusia Kiwanis Club
- Past Chairman of Andalusia Public Library Board of Trustees
- Past Manager, Treasurer, and Coach of Andalusia Little League
- Provide more street resurfacing
- Develop a public/private partnership to renovate and occupy Church Street School
- Grow the local tax base so that the city can provide more and better services to the residents
- See the infrastructure improvements continue so that Andalusia becomes a more and more attractive location for business
- Continue working with local schools to provide an education system that prepares young men and women to excel in the workplace